Friday 17 October 2014

Todays new meds part 1

After seeing a Psychiatrist I was given the option of trying a new medication to help with the voices. To begin with the thought of more medication was miserable but then I decided it was worth a try. If there was something that could dull the voices then maybe i could concentrate more on my counselling and practice the things i learn there without getting distracted. Fingers crossed this would mean my non-epileptic seizures would decrease and maybe I could reduce my other medications. Yes, this is all a big MAYBE but i feel that i need to try. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work.
I spoke to all my doctors and was really glad that they put the choice in my hands instead of deciding for me.
Once I made the decision, I just wanted to get on and try it. The first couple of weeks are always nasty and i wanted them to be over and done with. Unfortunately, the doctors were incredibly thorough (blah!) and wanted to have meetings with me and do tests before they made any final decisions (OK fair enough). I waited and waited...and waited to hear more. The whole time I was just wanting to get it over and done with.
Eventualllly, I got a phone call from my pharmacy saying that my new medication had been waiting for me for 3 months and was i going to pick it up. Yes, the whole process wasn't exactly slick but finally i would get to see if it worked.
I am 2 weeks into taking the Sulpiride now and I am knackered! Thank goodness i'm not nauseous but i am spending most of my time sat down and i struggle even opening the front door. I think it maybe starting to work though. It's too early to make any statements but i feel that the nagging in my head has dulled  a bit and sometimes I don't think about them at all. It could just be I am having a good few days but shall keep this post updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment